The Gray Man (Or the Grey Man, Gray Person, Shadowy Figure, Gray-Coat, Mysterious Figure, Mysterious Gentleman, Spy) is an entity that appears on B-Type days throughout certain locations in the dream-scape, and slowly approaches the player.
Upon getting close, a bright flash will occur and the Gray Man will disappear. The Gray Man is notorious for his startling sudden appearances. He may appear more than once in an area consecutively, even teleporting around rapidly.
He is sometimes viewed as the main antagonist of the game, and he seems to appear most often in Happy Town. In the files, his model name is "SYMSPY.MOM".
Features[edit | edit source]
The Gray Man is wearing a dark gray hat, possibly a bucket hat, fedora, or asian conical hat. He wears a trench coat of the same dark gray color. His hands are inside of his pockets. Their face has no detail, as his model is colored instead of textured. He appears to be "gliding" instead of walking, as his feet never move and has no animation.
Effects[edit | edit source]
The Gray Man erases flashback data, upon the player "interacting" with them. If all flashback data is erased, the option disappears from the menu. If encountered during a flashback, it will end shortly after.
The more you avoid meeting the Gray Man, the more often he will appear.
Triggers[edit | edit source]
The chances of seeing the Gray Man increase throughout the game are relative to how dynamic the player's actions and movements are. However, he only appears on B-Type days. He can appear in seven locations:
- Happy Town (highest chance of spawning)
- Violence District (2nd highest)
- Kyoto (3rd highest)
- Temple Dojo (fifty-fifty chance of him spawning here)
- Clockwork Machines (3rd lowest)
- Moonlight Tower (2nd lowest)
- Monument Park (lowest chance of spawning)
Theories and Speculations[edit | edit source]
The Gray Man may exist for one of several reasons.
- The Gray Man could be a result of hypnagogia, a state of sleep where the mind can sometimes imagine a threatening entity or presence. A sense of dread comes with this experience, causing one to only remember the fear.
- In the "Alien Theory," they may represent an alien probing the conscious mind in a dream, hence the 'mind-erase' effect. A great example of alien activity in LSD: Dream Emulator, would definitely be the Starship in Violence District or the UFOs in The Natural World.
- In the "Sexual Texture" Theory, they may represent a rapist and/or murderer. Despite the fact that there is already a Murderer and even the Gunman in Violence District.
- The player's mind may be trying to mentally block the Gray Man to prevent repressed memories from being re-awakened.
- They may be a recurring unpleasant figure in the real world that the player's mind is trying to forget. Like the aforementioned "I'm being chased." in Text Dreams.
- They could be a reference to the common drug "Diphen", which is found in something called Benadryl. This recreational drug has been known to create instances of a "Hat Man" or "Shadow Figure," which could be similar in appearance to The Gray Man. Diphenhydramine can also cause temporary memory loss of most of the drug's effects.
- Based on their file name, it could be the Gray Man is "spying" on the player.
- His posture is claimed to be rather kyphotic, which is generally seen as a negative trait.
Evading The Gray Man[edit | edit source]
To avoid an encounter with the Gray Man, run away while keeping them within your field of vision. The game places them within the vision of the player, so running backwards is the best method for escaping. Get out of his way and he'll walk into the wall and disappear. Going too far away from the Gray Man can cause him to respawn in front of the of the player, so this should be avoided.
Looking up also completely nullifies the Gray Man's trigger, much like how other triggers can be avoided by walking backwards or looking up/down.
A third technique is to keep him in your line of sight while strafing to an object that statically links to a place where he cant follow you in, those places being: Sun Faces Heave, Bright Moon Cottage, The Natural World, Pit & Temple, Black Space, Flesh Tunnels, and Long Hallway.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A band called The Aquabats made a song about The Gray Man
- In the game "Yume 2kki", there exists a enemy character who is similar to the Gray Man
- The "Spy" nickname originates from the Gray Man's model name, SYMSPY.MOM
- In the files, there is an object named SYMDOG.MOM, most likely belonging to the spy. More info about this is on the TCRF page for LSD: Dream Emulator.